- Life Insurance covers the expenses that arise when somebody passes away.
- A good life insurance policy can cover your mortgage payments, your child’s education, and even therapy for your loved ones should you pass unexpectedly.
- Rhode Island life insurance companies can help you find a policy to suit your needs and budget.
Rhode Island is known as the Ocean State and is located in the north-eastern United States. It’s bordered by Massachusetts to the north, and Connecticut to the west. With a population of 1.1 million people, it’s the 43rd-most populous state. The largest city in Rhode Island is Providence which has a population of 179,335 residents. Providence is also the state capital.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the average life expectancy in Rhode Island is approximately 78.2 years which is close to the national average life expectancy, which is currently around 79.05 years in the United States. Over the past few years, the leading causes of death in Rhode Island have been heart disease, cancer, and Covid-19. The homicide rate in Rhode Island is around 3.0 homicides per 100,000 residents, which is lower than the national average of 7.5.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, in Rhode Island, the 90th percentile income is currently $103,350. The median income in the state is approximately $47,780. Most financial advisors recommend purchasing a life insurance policy that covers your loved ones for between 10X and 20X your annual salary. In Rhode Island, this works out to around $1,033,500 – $2,067,000 dollars for most people.
How life insurance works in Rhode Island
There are many different life insurance companies, and they all have their own packages and plans. That said, the general idea is the same with all of them. You pay a monthly premium, and if you pass away during the term of your life insurance policy, then your loved ones will receive a set amount of money.
There are two different types of life insurance policies to be aware of: whole life insurance and term life insurance. With whole life insurance, you pay premiums throughout your entire life, and when you die, your beneficiaries will receive the amount of coverage that you paid for.
Term life insurance is a bit different. With this type of insurance, you pay premiums for a set number of years, and when that time is up, the policy expires. Usually, term life insurance policies are more affordable than whole life policies, but if you don’t pass away during the term, then you will lose the money you paid into your policy over the years.
You have plenty of options for insurance coverage. Simple term life has the lowest premium payments of all insurance products in most cases, but only provides simple death benefits during a pre-defined period. If you need more out of your products, such as annuities, long term care riders, cash value accumulation, or something else, you might need an alternative insurance plan. These may help supplement your retirement plans.
An independent insurance agent or insurance agency can help you learn more about life insurance quotes for a range of products like universal life insurance coverage, whole life insurance, or even long term care insurance. Make sure anyone you work with carries an insurance license and complies with state laws for the insurance industry.
In the end, it comes down to this: life insurance is for peace of mind. If you have people in your life who depend on you financially, then you should make sure that they’ll be taken care of financially if something happens to you. Life insurance is one of the best ways to do that.
10 Biggest life insurance companies in Rhode Island
Rhode Island life insurance companies ranked by premiums written in the state.
|Rank||Company Name||Rhode Island|
|1||Mass Mutual Life Ins||$132,075,888||17.68%|
|3||New York Life||$99,189,434||13.28%|
How much life insurance do you need in Rhode Island?
The 90th percentile salary in Rhode Island is approximately $103,350. As mentioned, most financial advisors recommend that you purchase a life insurance policy that will cover your beneficiary for at least 10X – 20X your average annual income. In Rhode Island that works out to around $1,033,500 – $2,067,000. This amount will ensure that your loved ones can continue to pay their bills, settle your debts, and cover the cost of your final expenses.
You may also want to purchase additional life insurance to cover:
- Your mortgage (if you want your spouse and kids to be able to live in the home without worrying about mortgage payments)
- Children’s education costs (if you want your child’s education to be covered without any additional stress to your spouse)
- Bereavement therapy costs for your spouse and children (if you want them to spend time with a therapist after your unexpected death)
- Any other expenses that may be unique to your family or lifestyle
Rhode Island life insurance laws
There are a few unique features with respect to Rhode Island Life Insurance Laws that have an impact on your specific policy if you are a resident of the state.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The Free Look Period: This is a period when you can test-drive your policy and find out if it meets your needs. You can return your policy within this period for a full refund. In Rhode Island the free look period is 20 days, according to state code.
- Grace Period: The policyholder is allowed to delay payments for a number of days after the deadline has passed, usually referred to as a grace period. In Rhode Island, you’re entitled to a grace period of 31 days.
- Contestable Period: The Rhode Island Insurance Code states that an insurance provider can cancel a policy if it finds a misrepresentation in the policyholder’s records within two years.
- Time Allowed to Settle Claims: In Rhode Island, the insurance provider must settle all claims within 30 days if received electronically and within 40 days if received by mail.
A life insurance policy is an investment in your family’s future. It ensures that they will be able to maintain their standard of living even if you are no longer there to support them. If you have not already done so, you should look into getting life insurance today. It could be the best decision you ever make for your loved ones. Also, be sure to consult with a licensed insurance agent, as they can help you select a policy that works for your unique needs and budget.
Looking for life insurance companies in a different state?
If you want to find the best life insurance companies in other states, click on your state below.
Joshua Holt is a licensed insurance agent (License #2785989) and founder of Biglaw Investor and Sidebar Insurance LLC, an insurance agency created by lawyers, for lawyers. His insurance expertise lies in the areas of life and disability insurance, particularly covering lawyers, doctors and other high-income professionals. Prior to Biglaw Investor, Josh practiced private equity mergers & acquisition law for one of the largest law firms in the country.